What’s that one thing you enjoy after a stressful, hectic day. For me, it’s a nice warm bath with some amazing smelling candles, Netflix and some good drink! We had no such place in our house until I decided to change it!! This DIY Bath caddy is a quick and simple project that immediately updates your bathroom making it looking modern and classy! Blending all the features was a perfect way to go! It is also a very simple and beginner friendly DIY, I got it ready in a few hours.
Things you need.
1- 2×12 board (cut to the width of your tub)
Nail gun + Nail ( I use this Brad Nailer, you can totally use a drill if you don’t have a nail gun)
Sander or Sandpaper (you can totally sand it with hand)
Wood Stain – I used shade Early American
Optional – Miter saw
- Start by measuring the tub width. You will want to go from outer edge of one side to the outer edge of the other allowing an over hang of 1.5-2inches. You could also leave it flush to the tub if you prefer.
- Next, measure from the inside edge of the tub on both sides. You’re looking for where to put the supports on the bottom so the tray doesn’t slide around – basically, you want to know how wide the sides of your tub are.
- Once you’ve measured, cut your board down to the appropriate size. If you don’t own a mitre saw you can easily have it cut at your local home improvement store, – it’s usually free!
- Now cut some scrap piece of wood to attach at the bottom of the caddy. It doesn’t have to be pretty!
- Using your brad nailer, nail these on the back side of the caddy. I used 2in nails.
- Next, using a spade bit drill a hole on around 2-3 inch inside from the support. This will be your drink holder. I used 1inch bit but you could totally use according to your glass holder size.
- Next from the center of this hole, draw two lines on either side. Basically we are creating a path to slide the glass in. Using your jigsaw cut this section down. Your glass holder should look something like below.
- Now for the Ipad holder, I applied wood glue to some scrap wood and nailed it down to the base. The front side of this base was mitered at a 45deg angle. Then I cut another piece where the Ipad would rest at a 45deg angle and nailed these pieces together.
- Then added another small piece of wood in the front to prevent the Ipad/Book from sliding.
- Once done, I sanded everything with a 120 grit sandpaper followed by a 240 grit.
- Now to the fun part, I applied some pre conditioner to the caddy. Then used a rag cloth and stained it with my favorite stain color Early American.
- Finally finished it with few coats of polyacrylic, since this will be used in wet zone. And that’s it!!!
Add some pretty flowers/candles and a glass of wine.. you are set!
Just try not to get addicted. It’s tempting. I know!!!!
If you are on Instagram, do check my detailed highlights for all the videos.
Categories: Bathroom, Beginner Friendly, DIY